Monday 1 December 2008

Linseed Oil painting

The main drawback with linseed oil paints seems to be the drying time required. 24 hours at 20 -25 degrees centigrade. With the weather as it is this means I've abandened the workshop and taken over the front room.

The first coat is of raw linseed oil, applied hot, 60deg. I decanted some in to tin and warmed it with a hot air gun, it only takes a couple of mins to get it up to temperature. It's brushed in vigerously in a thin coat. I ran over it with the hot air gun as well to aid it soaking in.

It's lovely stuff to use, pleasent smell and doesn't matter if you get it on your hands. The only problem was, due to slippy hands I dropped the tin. Small panic, but most landed on the news paper.

It took three days to dry, at and average temperature of 18 degrees. So a can't get away with not turning the central heating on, we normally rely solely on the wood burner in the dinning room.

Next step - Shellac on the glazing rebates and knots. Easy, Quick job.

The first coat of paint is worked in well and thin as with the raw oil
This dried within 36 hours after I closed the door and put the heating on.

The first coat covers well and dried to matt finish


Untill I've got the glass fitted I can't do anything else with the sashes but I can with the frame.

A light sanding of the frame and filling screw holes with puty, followed by another coat. A patchy gloss is developing,

I think the third coat will give a lovely finish.



No comments: