Friday 7 November 2008

LEAD weighty choice

I've been doing some ringing around, emailing and web searches looking for a good price on lead weights.

I also checked to see what the maximum size of weight would fit in the boxes - result 45mm or 1 1/4 inch square will go in easily with plenty of clearance for fitting .

Each sash will need around 16kg, so each window 32kg and each individual weight 8kg. At 45mm square they will need to be approx 390mm long, leaving loads of room for up and down movement. Knowing how long they have to be also allowed me to work out how long the pockets in the pulley rail will be to get the weights in.

With the other windows I've estimated I'll need around 160kg in total and I used this figure to get some prices. The obvious, easy to find companies must be making a big margin or are still selling stocks bought when the lead prices peaked. I eventually found a fairly local smelting company, I can collect from, that has quoted £1.60 per kilogram.

At this price I don't think I'll be smelting my own. But its still a possibility If I come across some scrap lead cheap enough.

HOWEVER - As there is plenty of up and down room in the boxes, I've done another quick calculation for using steel bar. At 45mm square it will still fit! even though I'd do each weight in two parts, segmented, so I wouldn't need a really long pocket. Some more ringing around needed to price up this option.

No comments: