Tuesday 14 October 2008

Beads - a big difference from traditional construction

Apart from being internally glazed this is where I've made a big leap of faith in the design. Due to the extreme depth of the rebate. The up stand of any glazing bead would require a wide base to pin to and I want to keep the sashes as thin as I can. I also want the internal look as traditional as possible.

The solution I've come up with is to face the entire inner part of the sashes that will, when fitted clamp the glazing in place. These will be screwed on. Along as I get the right thickness glazing tape, I'm hoping it will work out well.



First, a simple quadrant moulding. I took the bearing off my bit so I could the profile I wanted. I made a straight fence for the router table, I was getting fed up with trying to the split fence lined up accurately.



I'll still call these beads even though they aren't.
I'm going to start using some abbreviations now to help speed up the write up.

Top Sash = ST, Bottom Sash =BS

Left stile bead = Lb, Right stile bead = Rb

Bottom rail bead =Bb, Top rail bead =Tb

What follow is procedure I used for accurate cutting of the beads.

No comments: