Monday 20 October 2008

Flatening a new piece

I've just mentioned the top rail of frame. The piece I had planed up perfectly to size, on closer inspection had a twist in it. Rather than try and work round it I picked another piece of rough sawn of the shelf. "It'll not take two minutes to plane up".

This had a twist in it as well, But with 25mm to plane down to 22mm I could use it. Hence another simple jig. I found another length that was flat and skimmed it smooth in the thicknesser. Made a couple of really thin long wedges on the bench saw.
Screwed the new piece on to the flat board, from the back, just at the ends and supported the twisted up sides with the wedges. Then sent the whole lot through the thicknesser.

Result one flat face. Flipped over and faced the other side, hence two flat sides.

No comments: