Thursday 9 October 2008

First attempt at the meeting rail detail

A few bits to think think about with this detail.

1. The two rails need to meet and seal .

2. The parting bead has to go between them at the ends.

3. If there is any condensation running down from the top sash, how do I stop water accumulating between the rails.

The permutations seemed endless and i got a bit hung up on traditional designs that have a lip or meet with an angle. I pondered it for a while, probably too long as I had a few cans at the same time. I thought I had the solution so machined the pieces.

I'm sure this would work. The idea behind a brush seal being, if water got to it, it will seep through. Thinking about it the next day I decided, the step is pointless and the sash latches pulling the rails together could over compress the brush seal.


1 comment:

Glen P said...

Great blog ppost