Tuesday 14 October 2008

Sashes nearly done, on to the frame

I thinks that's all the work done on the sashes for now. There will be more to do after they are glued up.
Do I dip the ends in preserver first? Or maybe even get the parts pressure treated?
Do I use PVA or PU ?

Decisions, decisions!

After gluing the joint end will need trimming, the sides machining for the sash cords, notches cutting for the parting beads, a 5mm rebate on the bottom of the BS.

I need to think about cutting the horns as well. I'll need to fill in the rebate in horn (traditionally the rebate upstand is cut off below the bottom rail, but these rebates are BIG). If I had the cutters I could do them on the router bench, I'll check what I can do with my set, otherwise it will be a job for the jigsaw and a bit sanding.

However now I've got the sashes and they ended up the right size. I can confidently start on the box frame. The starting point here is the Cill, cutting the slope on it, with an upstand is proving interesting... details to follow.

3 comments:

gavin said...

Andy if you pressure treat the parts before assembly will that not affect glue adhesion? particullarly with pvu. I would just dip the end grain in preservative and use pvu glue.Just found out I can follow this post not sure how that works but think I have clicked the right places!

Andy iDoStuff said...

Thanks for following Gavin. It's all new to me as well, just learning as I go along. I think it will email you when I've made a new post, fingers crossed.
Thanks for the tip, I'm swinging towards diping (keeping it in house). I'm still looking into the best glue to use.
Cheers Andy

Anonymous said...

blog looks good even i can follow it....just put i blog on myspace/triketarkus...ref anber