Friday 3 October 2008

Timber for the first window

I bought a load of timber from Arnold Lavers for this window, spiral stairs and some shelves. I'll work an accurate price at some time.

This is all the timber required for one box sliding sash window (overall dimensions 1300 x 1900). Its all U/S grade a mix of Swedish/Finish and Russian redwood. I dont know exactly what U/S means I think it's Un-Sorted. But I was advised it was the best grade available.



The shifty looking character next to it is me, to give an idea of scale. The stack to the right is for the Box frame, to the left is for the two sashes.

I've rough sawn these to planeable dimensions. Working ecconomical cutting is quite on art to reduce wasteage. I've not fully mastered this art yet and ended up with quite a bit of off cuts. This wasn't helped by some shakes in the timber and knots I wanted to avoid.

Next time I'll select the timber myself down at the wood yard, I'll also have another look at timber sizes to reduce wastage.

Update, Nov 2009 - I've learnt a lot since writing this have a look at How to, Beginners Guide to Buying and Preparing Timber

2 comments:

gavin said...

definitely better to pick your qwn timber if you can

Andy iDoStuff said...

Cheers Gavin, It's lesson I've learn't now. I've had to consign quite a few pieces for less critical jobs. I'm on the look out for a other wood yards close to Chesterfield as well.