Wednesday 8 October 2008

Some comments I've had

It's been suggested by some experienced woodworkers on forums that:

1. I wedge the tenons. Thinking about this I don't know why I need to do this if the tenons are tight, is it so I can get glue in the joint? Is it so the timber of the tenon can be compressed so if it shrinks it will spring back and keep the joint tight? I have read that only the shoulders and wedges should be glued, is this to allow the tenon to shrink and contract? Any comments please let me know.

2. I should consider haunched tenons (and wedged) instead of dovetails. I don't know how much haunch I need so there is enough timber left on the end of the rails to resist side force from the wedge. I suspect more the than 10mm would be required.

I'll ponder these for a while but will have to make a decision soon.


Still not had the blog unlocked, hopefully today!

2 comments:

gavin said...

andy I always thought wedging tenons was done to provide mechanical insurance when the only glue available was animal glue and if your tenons are tight and your glue waterproof no need to wedge,
given that maybe using haunched tenons is easier than dovtails

Andy iDoStuff said...

Thanks Gavin, Some say to wedge but I've not heard the full reasoning yet (like you say, when tight and with good glue). I'm not totally convinced yet but I might do just in case... I've considered the haunched tenons but as I'm keeping the rails as thin as possible I don't think I've got the room.
Cheers Andy