Monday 27 October 2008

Cutting the box bottoms

The fitting of the boxes to cill is another departure from traditional designs, where the pulley stiles are set in to the cill and wedged. Thsi is point that is most likely to rot so I'm butt jointing with screws from underneath. Apparently this is common Scandinavian practice and I can see the benefits in theory.

The butting up needs to be accurate, for a good joint and to keep the frame straight.

First to get the angle on the pulley stile. I tried to get the angle from cill. Then cut with the mitre saw. Notice, I said tried.....


I then used the angled ends to set the mitre saw to cut the bottom of the outside lining.

So I thought I could cut it all nice, accurate and neat.



If I had a quality mitre saw this should have worked. The one I've got is OK for floor boards etc. but I've decided not stable enough for this kind job.


Plan B. Another little jig

Using a trimming off the end of the cill this jig works this way round for the outside lining and at 90 degrees against the cross fence to trim the pulley stiles.
I trimmed the inside lining on the table as well, so all the bottoms of the boxes are bang on.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Andy...my dad is building something that needs a pulley stile system and I've been lookong for details to help him. Did you finish this design?