Wednesday 1 October 2008

A Quick Introduction

Our house is an 1890 semi. The current windows are single glazed softwood casements fitted in the early Eighty's I think. They, due to neglect are slowly rotting away and some are in desperate need of replacement. We definately don't want plastic and want to replace the windows with Box sliding sashes.

The options are therefore limited. I've had quotes for supply of timber box sliding sashes that come out at around £1000 each. This is way over our budget. We could get cheaper but when looking for longevity, research suggests that I'd be making a bad choice.

Next step was to find out what it take to would take to make them. The advice and construction details available on the web all seem to relate to single glazed windows. The timber sections are available for these but nothing for double glazed windows.

So I've spent some time over the last year researching timber window design to modern specifications, asking questions on forums and then applying what I've learnt to my own designs.

I'll go in to more detail as a go along.

No comments: