Monday 20 October 2008

Weight Boxes

Each side of the frame is made of three parts, Outside lining, Inside lining and the Pulley stile. These fit together with a tongue on each side of the pulley stile that fit in to a groove in the linings.
I've tried to come up with a method here to make them accurately with the least number of measurements.
Grooves in the outside lining and inside linings. First another fence for the router table so I can use just the one face to make all the cuts. the standard fence doesn't move back far enough to do this.
The inside linings need a groove 5.5mm deep with the side furthest from the face edge being the same as the thickness of the pulley stile.
The outside lining groove has it's closest side being 20mm from the face edge. I've made a 20mm wide stick to use as gauge, its also used in the next step.

The backs of the boxes will have a plywood cover fitting in to a rebate 5.5 x 6mm.

First the Outside lining. Move the fence back so the same face edge can be used, I ended up clamping the fence to a handle on the table, very Heath Robo.


Remember as I'm using the other side of cutter - Feed from Left to Right

Then with the same fence setting use the 20mm stick to pack out the Inside linings from the fence.


On to the Pulley stiles - These need rebating on each edge to make the tongues. The first rebate is easy enough. The tongue wants to be 5mm long.

The rebate on the other edge wants to be referenced from the rebate just cut. Doing it this way means I only need one good edge when I'm planing up - So another fence modification.

I added a piece to the top the fence that run on the inside of rebate. The width between the new fence and the cutter is set to width of the top rail. eg. cill - inside lining - outside lining.

Just had a couple a glasses of wine so apologies if linguist capability levels are dropping......


I was sober when I made them hence results bang on.

No comments: